Five Ways to Increase Flexibility Quickly and Without Pain
- Warm up with dynamic stretching (2 mins). Dynamic stretching involves stretching through movement.
- Stretch your upper body (2 mins, 30 secs). All too often, people stretch only their lower bodies (hips, hamstrings, quads, and calves).
- Stretch your back gently (2 mins, 30 secs)
- Now, stretch your lower body (3 mins).
Lying Quad Stretch
- Lie on one side.
- Keep your bottom leg straight and bend your top knee so your foot is by your butt.
- Hold your top foot with your hand, pulling it toward your butt.
- Keep your hips stable so you’re not rocking back as you pull.
- Hold for 30 seconds to 2 minutes.
- Switch sides and repeat.
To maintain range of motion and improve flexibility in your neck, try the neck rotation exercise: Start by sitting up in a comfortable position. This is the starting position. Slowly bend your head forward until your chin touches your chest.Avoid this stretch if you have knee pain.
- Kneel on a firm but padded surface, such as a yoga mat.
- Sit back on your heels.
- Place your hands on the ground in front of you, with straight elbows.
- Walk your arms out at an angle to target the muscles on each side of your low back.
- Lie on your belly on a firm, padded surface.
Place one arm against the wall and slightly turn your upper body away from the wall; hold for 30 seconds. Kneel on the floor. Reach out in front of you with both hands placing your palms down on the floor. Simultaneously lower your chest to the floor and bend your knees to stretch your upper back and shoulders.Shift your hips forward to force the ankle into a flexed position. If you are able, sit at the bottom of a squat. Keep both heels planted on the ground as you shift your weight from side to side forcing the ankle into deeper dorsiflexion as seen below.To deepen the pose, lower your hips toward your knee. After holding the position for 5 to 10 seconds, heel-toe your right foot outward to the side of your body until your right leg is perpendicular to the body. Hold for 5 to 10 seconds and, again, deepen by lowering your hips to your knees.Here are three great stretches to increase the flexibility of these muscles and improve your shoulder range-of-motion:
- Sleeper Stretch. LIVE.
- Cross Arm Stretch. LIVE.
- Pec Stretch.
- Modified Child’s Pose.
- Wall Angels.
- Dumbbell Military Press.
- Modified Lawnmower Pull.
To improve flexibility in your calves, stand up about an arm’s length from a wall, place your left foot behind your right and gradually bend your right leg forward with your left knee held straight and your left heel planted on the ground. Hold the stretch for 30 seconds and do the same stretch on the opposite leg.This is an excellent way to loosen up the glutes and hips. Walking Straight-Leg Kicks: Walking straight-leg kicks stretch the calves, plus the lower back and hamstrings. Hold your hands straight out in front of you. Step forward with your right foot and then kick your left leg straight up to meet your left palm.Calf Stretch
- Sit with your feet out in front of you.
- Hold one end of a sheet or towel in each hand, forming a loop.
- Place the loop around your foot.
- Pull your toes toward you.
- Stop when you feel a comfortable stretch in your calf muscle.
- Hold for 20 seconds, and repeat 5 more times.
- Switch legs and repeat.
Is it possible to improve flexibility?
Does Stretching Increase Flexibility? It is clear that stretching doesn’t actually make muscles permanently longer, experts agree. Instead, it may be that exercises such as reaching for your toes train the nervous system to tolerate a greater degree of muscle extension without firing off pain signals.
How long does it take to increase flexibility?
Stretching a muscle for 30 seconds once per day is enough to increase muscle length over a period of at least 4-6 weeks. Utilizing dynamic stretches during your warm-up before exercise can improve performance. Static stretching after exercise can prevent muscles from getting stiffer.
How can a man become more flexible?
Grab your left thigh with both hands and pull the right leg in towards your chest. Feel a stretch in the left hip. Consciously keep your head and shoulders relaxed on the floor. Hold for 20 seconds as you try to pull it in further very slowly; and then switch legs.
How do you achieve flexibility?
Suggested clip · 119 seconds
How to get flexible legs – YouTube
Start of suggested clip
End of suggested clip